Monday, April 7, 2008

From Squirrels to Rabbits

There are a few ways to get to the new house that I live in. I often choose a street that reminds me of the mountains that I used to live on. It starts or ends with a big curve and Lola (my car) and I both get excited to take that turn. It reminds me of the mountain. Tonight as I was driving home, singing acapella at the top of my lungs, I swerved to miss a rabbit. This is pretty customary at night, and it didn’t startle me but caused me to think of what else I used to swerve around. I had a hard time pinpointing it until I remembered the squirrels, up in the San Bernardino Mountains there are millions of grey squirrels. They are cute the first week that you live up there or if you are visiting, but after you live there you kind of get annoyed. They are always in the way, especially when you are behind the wheel. Now, I also had to swerve to miss bears and coyotes, but the squirrels were the most frequent.

In this thought process of thinking about squirrels and rabbits I was reminded how far God has led me in my journey through life. Not only from squirrels to rabbits, but from isolation into community. I can’t say that I understand the power of the church body when they are loving each other as the Bible tells us to, but I can tell you that in the past three years of being at Cornerstone and EBC, God has shown me time and time again how much I need the church body. Even though I am alone in the eyes of the world, I have a Savior that loves and amazes me everyday, and often times uses His people to show me that love. He has surrounded me by believers who love Him and point me towards His arms when I forget that they are there waiting to hold me.

The Lord is always faithful, the Lord is always good, the Lord is always merciful, the Lord is always my protector. Thank you Lord Jesus for what you have done in my life and how you are constantly working. I read Ephesians 3:14-21 this morning, and it just hits me time and time again how God does do abundantly more than we can ever ask or imagine.

Three years ago, living in a fifth wheel in the middle of a forest with bears, coyotes, and squirrels I never thought that I would be where I am today: content in God alone, patiently waiting and seeking after my Shepherd. “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.” Psalm 23:1.

And all this because of one rabbit that God put in my path.

No comments: